For eCommerce businesses, the Shopify platform has become the real game-changer for every store owner. However, there might be confusion in many people that you can only sell physical products on Shopify.
But let me tell you that it is just your assumption, not the reality. Yes, you can sell digital products on Shopify. If you are a newbie to Shopify and stuck with creating your online store on Shopify then read this blog to get started.
What are digital products?
Digital products are intangible goods like e-books, mobile applications, themes, etc that exist in digital form. Digital products usually come in downloadable forms.
If you have taken the decision to start selling your digital products on Shopify then it is the best decision ever you made. Because there are many advantages of selling digital products on Shopify.
Advantages of selling digital products
Less overhead cost: Selling digital products on Shopify can decrease your overhead cost as you don’t need to spend on the upfront expense like creating a physical store, bringing raw materials, shipping charges, and many more.
Global exposure to the eCommerce world: Selling online will give you the opportunity to reach a wide audience globally in comparison to physical stores. Because in-person physical stores would be limited with specific locations.
Profit margins will be higher: Just like the physical stores, you don’t need to look after recurring charges of goods, managing the production, distribution, and shipping. All you need to do is develop a website, start marketing through emails, social media, etc. So selling digital products leads to get higher profit margins.
How to sell digital products on Shopify
If you are planning to sell digital products on Shopify then you need to disable the shipping for that specific product. Below are the steps you need to follow:
- Log in to your Shopify admin and go to Products > All products
- Now add the product or select a product from here.
- From the product page, uncheck This is a Physical product in the shipping section
- After making the changes click on the Save button.
Your customers will only be able to download the product through a downloadable link for your digital product. But for that, you must need an app and Shopify provides a free app called Digital Downloads. Digital Downloads app by Shopify is one of the best free Shopify apps for selling digital products on your Shopify store.
- Files can be attached to your products
- Instant file download after checkout
- Automated updates for customers about the updated download link
Best Shopify apps to sell digital products in 2022
Digital downloads by Unplinkly
Digital Downloads by Unplinkly make your work easy to sell all types of digital products on your Shopify store. All you need to do is install the app in your Shopify store, and attach files to products. Unplinkly Digital Downloads seamlessly integrates with all themes.
- Sell digital products easily
- Flexible delivery methods to deliver digital files
- Instant file delivery
- Seamless integration with all themes
- Set download limits for customers
- Automatic refunds
SendOwl allows you to sell digital products like ebooks, software, audio, or any other kind of file on your Shopify store. Using SendOwl you can access instant downloads. SendOwl provides you 30 days free trial.
- Automatic & fast delivery
- Works with Shopify POS.
- Deliver multiple files per order and per product variant
Sky Pilot – Digital Downloads
Sky Pilot is another best app for selling digital products and videos directly through your Shopify store. This app will boost your sales and provide quick downloads without any delays. SkyPilot is easy to access and offers instant delivery. Sky Pilot offers a free trial of 14 days.
- Well organized delivery of digital products
- Automatic file download access for customers
- Unlimited files/videos per item in your store
- To fit your needs Sky Pilot offers custom pricing
Downloadable Digital Assets
If you want to deliver secure downloadable links to your customers then the Downloadable Digital Asses app is for you. This app uses unique specialized URLs and has been integrated with Shopify’s fraud system to prevent fraud. This app provides a free trial of 7 days.
- Prevent customers from sharing downloads with others
- Easily migrate previous orders
- Use external URLs as assets
- Fraud protection
- Sell any type of digital asset with any file size
- Deliver personalized files to your customers
From videos to ebooks FetchApp delivers digital products by integrating seamlessly with your store. The best benefit of this app is that there is no need for separate hosting. This app provides easy order management.
- No need for separate hosting
- Systems are always being improved and updated
- Blazing fast servers for optimum transfer speeds
- Each account can have multiple users
So I hope now you can start selling digital products on Shopify after reading this blog. The choice of products is completely based on your personal business requirements. So start selling and take your profit margin to another level.
About the author
Sajini Annie John
Sajini Annie John is the Technical Content Writer of Identixweb Pvt Ltd. She is passionate about writing unique, top-notch content that makes the web more user-centric. She loves to help businesses to achieve their business goals through content.